Here is our advise on how to wear brooches, what places and on what occasions.
Brooches are an excellent way to accessorise yourself and to add that final touch that will complete your look. It is important to make the right choice, though, and with hundreds of designs on offer, it may seem to be a daunting task. In this guide we will give you very useful tips on when and how to wear a brooch.
- A brooch is a fashion decorative accessory that usually attaches to clothes with a rotating pin clasp.
- A pin is usually a smaller brooch that attaches with a small sharpened rod and push-on safety clasp, but some use the rotating rod with a clasp, similar to that of brooches.
- Pins and brooches are traditionally worn on clothes such as jackets, shirts, dresses, sweaters and hats.
- In the older days brooches were used to hold clothing together.
- Brooches come in different designs and are made from different materials, including Swarovski crystals, feathers, plastic stones, sea shells, pearls and pearl imitations.
- Bronze, copper, pewter, steel and silver are used to make brooches’ base or be the only ingredient in the brooch design.
- A fashion brooch with a good design oftentimes looks better than an expensive gold and diamonds brooch.
From simple and practical to elaborate and eccentric brooches have a potential to inspire many. Brooches are among the few jewellery categories that almost don’t have any size limits. The smallest pins on a lapel may be a common thing, but the gigantic brooches seen on the recent fashion shows is a manifestation of the unleashed designer’s creativity that really has no limits and can inspire even the ones who’s “seen it all”.
When it’s time to be all glamorous, we look for a designer dress, an exquisite handbag, a knockout clutch, a hot pair of heels or beautiful jewellery. But besides the regular accessories like necklaces, rings, bracelets and earrings, let’s not forget the often overlooked brooch or pin, which can spice up any look from classic to contemporary.
A brooch is like a magic touch from a fairy godmother, it either can make you look stylish or foolish. Make it too large, and people won’t notice your face, make it too small and people won’t notice any difference if didn’t have one. Put a heavy brooch on a thin dress and you’re asking for unattractive saggy creases, put an elaborate and colourful-too-much brooch on a formal dress and you’ll attract unwelcome attention.
Most people like to wear brooches as a fashion accessory that keeps them with the fashion trend or just to make their outfit more appealing. One thing is for sure – a brooch will make you stand out.
Brooches have always been an essential part of anyone’s wardrobe. Get yourself a good collection and you will be prepared for any occasion. If you don’t already own any brooches, it’s never late to start one. Every woman should have several brooches to go with different looks, but in any case, at least one for the formal dress and another for casualwear.
Think of the last time when you dressed-up. If you don’t wear jewellery much and find it hard to find yourself a ring to match or earrings that aren’t too heavy, then a brooch could be a solution. You don’t wear it directly on your body and hence there is a greater field for experimentation: put it on a dress, jeans, jacket or shoes – see where you like it the most.